Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

2/6/11


2/6/11 7:30 PM
            Can you believe it’s already February? Not only is it Feb, it’s the second week of Feb. Time flies, man, time flies.
            This last week was the first week of classes. I have three classes…African Worldviews, Doctrine of the Triune God, and Intro to Sociology. I’m not so sure about the African Worldviews class; it has the potential to be very interesting but the professor (or lecturer as they call them here) is new and doesn’t really seem to be the greatest teacher. We’ll see how it goes. I’m really excited about the Triune God class. I’ve been doing some reading for it today and there’s just so much to the trinity that I would never think of if it weren’t for this class. Intro to Sociology seems like it will be good too, I need to experience it a bit more before I decide, but I at least like the lecturer.
            Classes took up most of my week. I, unfortunately, came down with Strep Throat this past week, so it wasn’t super fun. I went to bed early every night, could hardly talk by Friday, and just wasn’t myself. My host mom told me she wanted the old Shelly back. But my host parents graciously took me to the doctor Friday night and I got some antibiotics and am now doing much better. I actually feel like I have more energy now than I did before getting sick. I think all my energy was pent up inside me this past week and now I’m letting it all out ;)
            Last night, Saturday, I had my first rugby experience. This guy Andrew from Cornerstone is like super into it, so he took us Americans to a preseason game to experience it. It was fun, but I really had no idea what was going on. Just a whole lot of huge guys running into each other without any padding on. But seriously, you should see how huge these guys are… their thighs especially. I don’t even know what to compare them to. Like…tree stumps or something. They’re just super muscular all over, and freakin’ tall.
            After the game we went out to dinner, which was fun. It’s been good to integrate with the South Africans at school and allow them to show us some of Cape Town. I feel less tourist-y when they take us, instead of on a bus going around to museums and such.
            We went to a different church this morning. We have now had the two extremes of churches here: extremely charismatic and extremely traditional. The church this morning was a Presbyterian church, which is what I attend at home, but this was even more traditional than my home church. Next week we’re going to try to find a “middle ground” church. It all adds to the experience, I guess.
            We’re always having interesting interactions with people here. This past week, Krystle and I were waiting for the bus and a not-so-cute guy came up to us telling us we were SO beautiful and started to serenade us. We also, within 10 minutes of that wonderful experience, saw a lady getting her bag rummaged through by a strange man… pick-pocketing I guess, but much more obviously done. We get whistled at everywhere cause we are so clearly not from around here. Krystle got made fun of by the waiter at the restaurant last night for how she pronounced “water” because they say it like “wata,” There’s no hiding that we are not from here.
            We still haven’t made it to the beach, but we’ve been talking with some Cornerstone peeps about taking us soon.
            So ya, that’s about it. As I was writing this, I listened to a David Crowder song that sings, “what a glorious day.” Isn’t it a glorious day? It is the day the Lord made, so rejoice and be glad in it.

1 comment:

  1. A glorious day indeed! I LOLed at your water segment and picturing some strange man singing to you. haha! Keep it up Sis!

    ReplyDelete