Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Keith!!!


March 10, 2011 7 PM
I don’t even know where to begin. It’s obviously been busy, which is why it’s been 10 days since I last wrote. So I think the real question is, what do you want to know? I’m not psychic, but I’ll try my hardest to tell you what you want to hear. :P
To start off, let me point out that I have less time until I come home than I do the time that I’ve been here. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I’m over half way through my time. Man oh man, it’s flying by. The other day I was taking a break from writing an essay and decided to go back and read some of my first blog entries. The one written on the 13th of January, about me smoking out the house… that hit me. It does NOT feel like it’s been two months since that happened, and it is also weird to think that at that point I had only been here for 9 days. I’m pretty sure I felt like I had been here a month at that point. But now it’s been two months, and I still feel like I’ve only been here a month. Funny how that works.
The weekdays haven’t been anything exciting. Krystle and I are usually at college (you have to say college or uni here, if you say school they think you’re still in high school) until around 4 each day, and then come home and either take a nap, go for a run (or walk usually for me haha), or do more homework. When the family comes home, we chit-chat with them, and I have started to help Lavona make dinner quite regularly. It brings me back to my memories with my mom and helps me feel a little bit more at home. Overall, I really have started to become more comfortable and I really am starting to feel like this house is my…well...3rd home.
Last weekend was a really nice combination of relaxing and getting out to do stuff. A friend from college, Andrew, just moved into a different flat, so he had a house-warming party Friday night. Saturday we spent most of the day at home and then went to a rugby game with the family. It was probably the hottest day since we’ve been here. We figure it got close to 36 degrees Celsius…you can tell me what that is in Fahrenheit. But we were sitting in the sun at the stadium, so it was pretty unbearable for the first half. Luckily, the sun started to go down and we ended in the shade.
Sunday was spent with Krystle and a couple of our friends Kyle and Luke. We went to the waterfront for a little while, went to a food bazaar place for lunch, and then went to a concert at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. It was this two-man band called Goldfish, and they’re pretty popular in South Africa. The insane crowd at the concert proved them popular. It was cool, even though there was a big tree blocking our view from the stage. We just went down to the front for a little bit to see it, and just hung out and talked the rest of the time.
I’ve been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for the past couple weeks, but hopefully it will ease up soon. I have been excited and incredibly happy, and then incredibly homesick and sad (sometimes within 10 minutes of each other). I’m a girl…is that enough of an excuse?
Anyways, I suppose a lot more has happened, but my mind is on papers and school (or sorry…college) ending in just a couple more weeks. The weeks are becoming blended together with each day going by faster and faster.
It’s Keith’s birthday today (or it will be when I post this)! And Mom’s was last week! Happy Birthday to you!!!!!
Lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment