Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Taran!!!


March 21, 2011 7:30 PM
Yesterday, I was supposed to ride an elephant. But I didn’t. I was all stoked, ready to go ride this thing, and then it turns out it was over 50 bucks for SEVEN MINUTES on the elephant. As cool as it would have been to say I had ridden an elephant, I didn’t think it was worth the money. But I saw the elephant, so that’s cool!
This was just one aspect to the weekend away with the host family. Krystle and I were graciously invited to join our family in Plettenburg Bay for a couple days. We stayed in a basic, but very nice cabin with free-roaming animals all around. There were primarily deer, and one freaking annoying pig. They were all tame, because they all lived on the property so they were used to the people. But this dang pig would actually come INTO your cabin if you accidentally left the door open. He bit. He peed. He was annoying. If there was any reason to be excited to leave that place, it was the pig.
But everything else was fun. We spent Saturday going to a Saturday market, checking out the beach, and taking a little hike to a suspended bridge that had a pretty awesome view. Sunday we tried to ride elephants, but then joined the family to see monkeys in Monkeyland, which is a place where monkeys that were humanized either as home pets, in labs, or in the circus could go to become wild and dehumanized again. It was about an hour tour, so that was cool. Right next door to that was Birds of Eden, where I saw FLAMINGOS! I had never seen them before, so that was pretty sweet.
We played lots of the card game “golf” and just really enjoyed being with each other.
I’m so in paper-writing mode right now that I keep thinking I have to check my word count as I’m writing this. Silly me!
I can’t believe how fast time is going. It’s already almost April, and this is my last week of college. Then it’s SUMMER BREAK!!!! No homework for 5 MONTHS!!!! Hahahaha.
This is probably my last post for quite a while. I can guarantee you this week will not consist of much to write about (unless you want to read my essays I’ll be writing all week). Then next Monday the Americans head off to the Eastern Cape for 12ish days, then we go to a township for a week. So basically, I don’t know if and when I’ll have internet access again. HOW WILL I SURVIVE!???
Thank you all, again, for your continuing support and prayers. When we were taking our hike this weekend, there was this one absolutely gorgeous view, and I just said, “Krystle, we’re in AFRICA.” It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the school work here that I forget where I am and how lucky I am to be here. No matter how hard it is sometimes, I know I’m here because God wants me to be, and I’m learning SO much about myself and the beautiful world God has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment